VITA/TCE PROGRAM OFFERS FREE TAX PREPARATION SERVICES TO QUALIFIED TAXPAYERS
Free tax preparation services will be available beginning in early February for Greater Nashua residents through a partnership led by United Way of Greater Nashua, the IRS and other community partners and volunteers.
Tax preparation will be done by trained and IRS-certified volunteers at four sites in Nashua and Hudson:
- United Way of Greater Nashua, 20 Broad Street, Nashua
- Nashua Senior Activity Center, 70 Temple St., Nashua
- Hudson Senior Center, 19 Kimball Hill Rd., Hudson
- Rodgers Memorial Library, 194 Derry Rd., Hudson
The two sites in Nashua and Rodgers Memorial Library in Hudson will prepare taxes in person at the preparation site. The Hudson Senior Center site will allow taxpayers to drop off their tax forms to be processed, then return later to pick up their completed return.
- The United Way of Greater Nashua tax prep site will be available for appointments on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10:00am to 1:30pm. The site opens on Thursday, February 2, 2023 and closes on April 18, 2023 (with no guarantee that return will be accepted by the IRS if it is e-filed on April 18).
Call 2-1-1 to schedule an appointment to have taxes prepared at the United Way of Greater Nashua site.
- The Nashua Senior Center will be available from 9:00am to 12:45 pm on Wednesdays. The site will open on February 1, 2023 and close on April 12, 2023. Call 2-1-1 to schedule an appointment to have your taxes prepared at the Nashua Senior Activity site.
- The Hudson Senior Center will be open for drop-off on Fridays between the hours of 9:30am-12:00noon. The site will open on Friday, February 3, 2023. Call the Hudson Senior Center at (603) 578-3929 during regular hours beginning January 30 to schedule an appointment to drop your tax forms off at the Hudson Senior Center.
- Rodgers Memorial Library will schedule appointments from 9:15am-. 2:00pm on Mondays and 9:15am-12:00noon on Saturdays. The site opens on Saturday, February 4, 2023.
Call the Rodgers Memorial Library at (603) 886-6030 during regular houses beginning January 30 to schedule an appointment to have your taxes prepared at Rodgers Memorial Library.
Please note that Rodgers Memorial Library and the Hudson Senior Center will not accept any walk-in clients.
The 2023 tax filing deadline is April 18, 2023.
All sites will require that the taxpayer schedule an appointment in advance to have their return processed by the trained volunteers.
Those wishing to have their taxes prepared by the volunteers are asked to have all their documents available when making their appointment. Information on which documents are needed are listed at the bottom of IRS Form 3676-B on the United Way website.
Volunteers have been trained to assist taxpayers for both the VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) and the TCE (Tax Counseling for the Elderly) Programs. They will assist taxpayers in identifying any credits (Earned Income Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit, etc.) they may be entitled to.
The VITA program offers free help to people who generally earn $60,000 or less, people with disabilities and limited English-speaking taxpayers. The TCE program is generally for people aged 60 or older and focuses on tax issues unique to seniors. While there is no income limit on TCE prepared returns, priority is given to low-to-moderate income. The sites in both Nashua and Hudson can prepare tax returns for both programs.
IRS Form 3676-B contains information on the specific types of returns the trained volunteers are able (or not able) to process in the VITA and TCE programs; please refer to this list to see if you qualify.
Additional information about the tax preparation services available in Greater Nashua through the United Way-sponsored program will be provided as it becomes available. Anyone with questions can contact United Way at (603) 824-0205 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For information on tax preparation services available in other New Hampshire communities, call 2-1-1 or go to https://nhtaxhelp.org.