VITA PROGRAM OFFERS FREE TAX PREPARATION SERVICES TO QUALIFIED TAXPAYERS
Free income tax preparation services are available to qualified low-to-moderate income individuals and families whose income is $57,500 or less and live in greater Nashua. The services are available through VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance).
The VITA program offers free tax help to taxpayers who meet the income guidelines, persons with disabilities, or limited English speaking taxpayers who need assistance in preparing their tax returns.
IRS-certified volunteers provide free income tax return preparation with electronic filing to qualified individuals.
United Way of Greater Nashua has partnered with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and other community partners to support VITA sites in Nashua and Hudson.
The goal of providing tax prep services is to increase awareness of the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and other available credits, provide free tax preparation services and promote asset-building opportunities as available in the community.
The IRS offers help for those who are deaf or hard of hearing.
Follow this LINK to ALS YouTube videos for information.
TAXPAYERS MAY ELECT TO HAVE THEIR RETURNS COMPLETED EITHER THROUGH DROP-OFF SERVICES OR BY 100% ON-LINE
- Drop-Off: If you chose this model, you must schedule an appointment to drop-off your tax documents at either the United Way of Greater Nashua (UWGN), 20 Broad St. Nashua by calling 2-1-1 or at Rodgers Memorial Library (RML), 194 Derry Rd., Hudson by calling (603) 886-6030.
- 100% On-Line (United Way of Greater Nashua ONLY): If you choose this method, you will NOT have to schedule an appointment. You will have the option of scanning your tax documents and personal identification information and emailing them to our secure email address (email@example.com) from the comfort and security of home. This service requires that filers have access to the Internet and a smart phone camera, tablet, or scanner.
Both models require the taxpayer to provide either a personal email address or telephone number for contact purposes.
Due to pandemic-related changes in the tax laws for 2021 returns filed in 2022, low-to-moderate income individuals and families may benefit with increased refunds or lower tax bills when they take advantage of updates made to the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and the Child Tax Credit (CTC).
THE IRS HAS IMPOSED RESTRICTIONS ON THE TYPES OF RETURNS THAT MAY BE PREPARED BY VITA VOLUNTEERS
Please note that while VITA volunteers are trained to prepare tax returns, there are some types of returns that volunteers cannot prepare. Please refer to this FREE TAX PREPARATION FLYER (in English and Spanish) from the IRS.
Please do not purposely leave these forms out of your drop-off packet. This may result in the IRS rejecting your return, assessing you penalties/interest at a later date for not including them in your return or subjecting your return to an audit.
SCHEDULE YOUR APPOINTMENT TO DROP OFF YOUR TAX DOCUMENTS
NASHUA UNITED WAY DROP-OFF SITE: Call 2-1-1 to schedule an appointment at the United Way of Greater Nashua, 20 Broad St., Nashua. The 2-1-1 operator will provide assistance as to the tax preparation site that best meets your needs. Drop-off appointments are REQUIRED and available at United Way on Tuesdays and Fridays from 10:00am-1:45pm through Friday, April 15, 2022. If you need help booking your appointment please call United Way Greater Nashua at 603-864-0205
RODGERS MEMORIAL LIBRARY/HUDSON DROP-OFF SITE: Call the Hudson Library directly at (603) 886-6030 to schedule an appointment to drop your tax documents off at the Rodgers Memorial Library, 194 Derry Rd., Hudson. Appointments are REQUIRED and available at Rodgers Memorial Library on Saturdays and Mondays from 9:15am to 12:30pm through Monday, April 11, 2022.
There are additional free tax preparation services available if you do not qualify for those provided by the Nashua and Hudson VITA program. Many are included at NHTaxHelp.org. Additional options for preparing your tax return free of charge are provided on the IRS website Free File: Do your Federal Taxes for Free | Internal Revenue Service. IRS Free File options are available for those who earn less than $72,000 and those whose income is greater than $72,000.
How Your Tax Return Will be Prepared at United Way of Greater Nashua (DROP-OF SERVICE)
- VITA volunteers will prepare your return following the IRS and VITA requirements for Drop-Off Service. Prior to arriving at the site for your appointment please review the “Prepare for Your Scheduled Appointment” information below and gather all of your tax documents.
- Refer to the attached “DOCUMENT INVENTORY WORKSHEET” as a checklist to forms you may receive from the IRS that relate to your individual tax situation.
- On the day of your drop-off appointment, please arrive no sooner than 5 minutes before your scheduled appointment time.
Access at the UWGN Building is from the rear entrance of the building. Signs will be posted guiding you to the proper entrance point. You will need to ring the “ring doorbell” prior to entering. The on-site counselor will provide you instructions at that time.
- VITA volunteers will review your documents and complete a short Interview based on the documents that you provide. After the Interview is complete, volunteers will inventory your tax documents. You will then be given a reminder of your pickup appointment* time and may leave the site.
- Pickup appointments are for you to pick up your return and will normally be 1 or 2 workdays following your drop-off appointment.
- Your documents are stored in locked, secure storage when they are not being used to prepare your return. VITA Counselors will prepare your return and have it ready for your second appointment*.
- At your pickup appointment*, you will receive an explanation and copy of your tax return. You will need to sign an IRS form that allows us to electronically file your return. Your original tax documents will be returned to you.
If you have questions on the Nashua United Way process, please contact us at 603-864- 0205 or email VITA.firstname.lastname@example.org.
*NOTE: THE DATE AND TIME OF YOUR PICKUP APPOINTMENT WILL BE PROVIDED PRIOR TO YOU LEAVING YOUR DROP-OFF APPOINTMENT.
How Your Tax Return Will be Prepared at Rodgers Memorial Library/Hudson (DROP-OF SERVICE)
- This season, VITA volunteers will prepare your return following the IRS and VITA requirements for Drop Off Service. This means that you will leave your tax documents at our secure site and pick-up your return at a later day and time.
- Prior to arriving at the site for your appointment please review the attached “DOCUMENT INVENTORY WORKSHEET” to insure you have all necessary tax documents. Complete required Form 13614-C (link below) and bring both with you to your appointment.
- We cannot accept any walk-ins. You must have a confirmed appointment.
- On the day of your appointment, please arrive no sooner than 5 minutes before your scheduled time. You may enter the library upon your arrival. Wait by the VITA check-in table for an Intake Facilitator to escort you to the interview room. Masks must be worn in the library at all times – No Exceptions
- A VITA volunteer will review your documents with you. At the conclusion of the Interview, you will be assigned a day/time to pick-up your tax documents and completed return.
- Your documents will be kept in locked, secure storage until needed.
- At your pickup appointment, you will receive an explanation and copy of your tax return. You will need to sign an IRS form that allows us to electronically file your return. Your original tax documents will be returned to you.
- If you have questions on this process, please email VITA-Hudson@comcast.net or call 603-886-6030
PREPARE FOR YOUR SCHEDULED APPOINTMENT:
1. IRS REQUIRED FORMS
There are two IRS forms (F14446 and F13614-C) that must be completed as a part of your tax preparation process. Your return CANNOT be processed if these forms are not completed and signed.
- Both of these forms can be completed in advance of your scheduled NASHUA appointment and can be downloaded here:
- Form F1364c can be completed in advance if your appointment is at Rodgers Library in HUDSON and downloaded here:
- The forms can also be completed at either tax prep site on the day of your appointment.
Copies of Form F13614c are available in a number of other languages, including Spanish and Portuguese. Other language versions of the form can be found on the IRS website at Forms and Publications (PDF) (irs.gov)
If you are unable to download these documents email VITA.email@example.com for information on how to obtain the forms you need.
2. PERSONAL IDENTIFICATION AND TAX DOCUMENTS
- Picture ID (for both taxpayers if filing married filing joint)
- SS card for all individuals listed on the tax return
- All tax information. Information on what you should bring to your appointment is contained on this FREE TAX PREPARATION FLYER (in English and Spanish) from the IRS.
Missing some of the forms you’ll need to have your return prepared by a VITA volunteer? Information on the “Where to Locate Missing Forms” page may help.
3. THE DAY OF YOUR DROP-OFF APPOINTMENT
- Plan to arrive no earlier than 5 minutes before your scheduled appointment. Based on concerns related to COVID-19, face masks must be worn at all times during your drop-off appointment. Anyone experiencing any signs of illness should stay home and reschedule their appointment.
- A spouse must be present if filing a joint return. Please do not bring children or any additional people to your appointment. If needed, translation services can be provided with advance notice.
- An experienced tax preparer will review your information and answer any questions you may have. This will be accomplished by way of a webcam at the UWGN location. HUDSON will use ZOOM technology.
- You will leave all your tax documents at the VITA site. This meeting should take approximately 15 minutes.
- You will be scheduled a time to come back and pick up your completed return during your drop-off appointment. You may be called by the VITA volunteer if there are any questions regarding your return, so please answer your phone. You will be given the VITA tax site phone number(s) at your drop-off appointment.
4. THE DAY OF YOUR PICKUP APPOINTMENT
- You will return on your scheduled date and time to pick-up your completed return. You must return to the same VITA site to sign your tax return.
- We will not e-file your tax return(s) until you sign the required IRS form, which will be included with your completed tax return.
- Plan to arrive no sooner than 5 minutes before your scheduled appointment. We will review your finished return with you using the same document review method of your first appointment and answer any questions you may have.
- Remember, if filing a joint return, both taxpayers must be present to sign the IRS Form. Please do not bring children or others to the appointment.
- You will leave the site with your completed tax return and all the tax documents you provided at your first appointment.
We will contact you in the event the IRS rejects your return. In most instances, the correction can be made and the return refiled. In some instances, the IRS may direct that the return must be paper filed. Either way, we will work with you to meet the IRS requirement.
If you need help or more information about using the Drop Off method, please email VITA.firstname.lastname@example.org with questions about our Nashua Drop Off procedures or HudsonVITA@comcast.net with questions about our Hudson Drop Off procedures.